Monday, November 9, 2009

Rights to Write: Task One

Sep. 28-Oct. 5

[Description] with a video clip
Basic abilities for a successful study in college should include:
1. Being able to think
2. Being able to learn
3. Keeping up with the world

龍應台教授:面對全球化大學生需要的基本配備 (Click on it to browse the video page or watch the clip below)
1. 獨立思考 (critical thinking)
2. 知識力
3. 行動力
4. 品格


Now let's see how successful you are:

1. Do you hear yourself telling people: "I have my own values and principles. They should be respected under all kinds of circumstances." or something similar?
If so, what would you say when someone laughs at you for never skipping classes?
If not, why could be the reasons?

2. Do you believe everything people tell you? Why or why not?
For instance, when your friend tells you that working as a part-time waiter in a fancy restaurant will get you a lot of money, how would you respond?

Make comments and reflect on your thoughts.

[My Own Comments]

Being able to think, to learn, and to keep up with the world, first of all, require being willing to do so. People do have abilities and potentials, but everyone often don't develop them because he or she doesn't have a strong will and doesn't take any action. Another problem is that people often judge each other without enough information.

1.
I do not directly tell people "I have my own values and principles. They should be respected under all kinds of circumstances." However, I think so. Furthermore, everyone has his or her own values and principles, so everyone should respect each other's differences. That is, I should respect other values and principles, too.
One has rights to peacefully persuade the other party, but one cannot force them to change, for they also have rights not to change. People should not only respect but also try to understand each other's views. After understanding each other, if one cannot accept the other's view, let it be. That's true liberty: trying to understand the other party even if you don't stand on the same side.
Never skipping classes is nothing wrong and shouldn't be laughed at. If students have to be absent, they should provide reasonable excuses. I always inform the teacher of the reasons and ask for the approval of leave beforehand. However, as a late riser, I regret to say that I'm often late for class. Sometimes, if I cannot attend the class before it ends, I may skip the class. Being late may cause unexpected absences.

2.
I do not believe everything that people tell me; however, I would try to understand what people have said and collect enough information to decide whether what they say is reliable or not. A college student should have the ability to judge true or false. If people are right, of course I will believe them.
In addition, action speaks louder than words. Therefore, I would observe what people say and what people do to see if one coincides with the other.

[My Keypal's Comments and My Response]
Click "Week One" to read them.

No comments: