Monday, December 28, 2009

Rights to Write: Task Six

Nov 03-10

[Description] with a video clip
Really achieving your childhood dreams (Click on it to browse the video page or watch the clip below.)

  • How do you usually look at your mistakes?
  • How do you define mistakes?
  • After listening to Prof. Pausch, do you still see mistakes in the same way?

[My Own Comments]

1. How do you usually look at your mistakes?
I usually felt embarrassed when I make mistakes. But if I know I’m wrong, I’ll admit them and try to fix them.

2. How do you define mistakes?
It’s hard to define it. Well, a mistake is formed by mis- and -take. It suggests that we’ve taken or done something wrong, so we would wish to get things undone, going back to the state of not taken wrong. However, if we can take it positively, it means a bonus that we “accidentally” take more. Isn’t it a blessing?

3. After listening to Prof. Pausch, do you still see mistakes in the same way?
Before elaborating my thoughts, I’d like to point out my doubt. This question seems under the hypothesis that we see mistakes in a different way from Prof. Pausch’s. However, my view is quite similar to his. The problem is that although I know this sense, I’m often controlled by emotions. I think people can only see mistakes positively only if we have an optimistic philosophy of life and know how to cope with negative emotions caused by the mistakes that we made.

Again, like Task 2, the questions seem irrelevant to the attachment (an article in Task 2; a video clip in Task 6). Actually, “mistakes” here may mean those mistake made in the “trial-error” learning process.

Every experience is a lesson, which we can learn from. As Prof. Pausch quoted from EA (Electronic Art, 美商藝電): “Experience is what you get when you didn’t get what you wanted.”

At a first glance, people may misunderstand the quote: “It’s sad that you didn’t get what you wanted, so experience is useless.”

No, what the quote really means is that you do get something more important, which is called experience. It will help you get what you want in the future.

Plainly speaking, the roundabouts and detours in our life are significant. They can increase valuable experiences in spite of the failures in surface. We can not only directly but also indirectly learn things. In fact, most of what we learn is indirect, and it becomes experience. More XP points will upgrade us, leading us to a higher level.

Let’s go back to the title of the video clip “Really achieving your childhood dreams.” We can conclude that if we want to really achieve our dreams, we should turn mistakes into precious experience.

[My Keypal's Comments and My Response]
Click "Week Six" to read them.


No comments: